Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 40 minutes*
3 tbsp butter, divided
1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium zucchini, sliced (6 cups)
1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 bacon slices, crisp-cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup seasoned croutons, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender. Remove mushrooms; set aside.
- In same skillet combine salt and 1 cup water; bring to boiling. Add zucchini; return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- In a medium bowl stir together sour cream, egg yolks and flour; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into sour cream mixture.
- In a rectangular 2-quart baking dish layer half the zucchini, half the mushrooms, half the sour cream mixture and half the cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Repeat layers with remaining zucchini, mushrooms, sour cream mixture and cheese. Melt remainting 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl toss melted butter and croutons. Sprinkle over layers in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until edges are browned and puffed, and the center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
* 10 minutes stand time extra
Per serving: 180 calories, 20g fat, 30g saturated fat, 120mg cholesterol, 4455mg sodium, 9g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 11g protein
Recipe from Try-Foods International
– instead of croutons in butter at the end of step 4, I used some Ryvita crackers (because I didn’t have time to make croutons – I like making my own croutons with bread going stale, a good way to use them up) – turned out pretty good
– didn’t put in as much cheese as it calls for (we have started to cut down on our dairy intake)
Interesting article about dairy intake: Cure Breast Cancer By Avoiding All Milk Products.