We finally got ourselves some buckwheat flour from a local health food store and made some buckwheat pancakes with sausages and cheddar cheese.
Pancake recipe adapted from All Recipes: Best Buckwheat Pancakes.
(I fridged the rest of the batter and used it another day. Made three sausages wrapped with pancake for each person; total 12 sausages wrapped with pancake.)
Breakfast sausages – 12
1-1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp butter, melted
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
6 tbsp buckwheat flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (Cora uses white cheddar, we used yellow because that was what we had in our fridge.)
*I diluted the recipe a little, we wanted it to be more like crepes than pancake.
- Cook the sausages while you are making pancake mixture.
- Add the lemon juice to milk and let it sit for a while. The original recipe called for buttermilk but we didn’t have buttermilk, we did have milk and lemon juice, which worked out well.
- Whisk the lemon juice/milk mixture with egg and melted butter.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, mix together. Do not over stir it, until it’s just combined. Let the mixture sit for a while.
- Place a frying pan or crepe pan over medium-heat with butter/margarine/oil on it. Spoon batter into pan, forming 4-inch pancakes. Flip once bubbles form and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Wrap sausages in pancakes and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Place in heated oven. (We usually set our oven to low heat and place the finished pancakes in the oven to keep warm.)
Of course, ours were not as fancy as Cora’s. I haven’t learned how to cut fruit in a fancy way, yet.