Strawberry season is here! We went to Herrles for PYO (pick-your-own) strawberries a couple of weeks ago (PYO at Herrles ends tomorrow). We picked a whole bunch of juicy, aromatic and delicious strawberries. I love the smell of strawberries! It’s one of my favourite fruits!
This recipe was adapted from All Recipes: Strawberry Pie II.
Most pie recipes are too sweet for us and I try to modify them before actually making them. This time it slipped my mind. I made one significant change to this recipe: I added grapefruit juice. Next time I make this pie I will add less sugar (probably half the sugar) and add juice of one grapefruit. The grapefruit complimented the strawberries well, surprisingly.
90 kg of fresh strawberries
1 cup of white sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup water
5 grapefruits – juiced
one 9-inch pie crust (baked) – for this I used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking
whipping cream (optional)
- Make the crust (Joy of Cooking) and bake for 350 F for 8-10 minutes.
- Arrange 1/2 of the strawberries in the pie shell.
- Mash the remaining strawberries with sugar in a saucepan. On medium heat, bring the strawberry-sugar mixture to boil. Add the grapefruit juice. *Next time, I would put in less sugar and less grapefruit juice.
- Mix the cornstarch with water. Gradually stir this into the strawberry mixture. Cook until thicken and then pour over berries.
- Leave it in the fridge until the pie sets.
The buckwheat strawberry muffins were from Pink of Perfection. The one thing I did change was instead of buttermilk, I used regular milk and added 1 tbsp of vinegar. I have a whole bunch of buckwheat and exploring different ways to use it.