Winter is here again. I am tired of the constantly changing weather. I would rather it be cold for the rest of the winter instead of this fluctuation. (Of course, I much prefer warmth and cold. I just hate freezing rain and black ice.) It has not been very cold this year; however, we have all forgotten what “real winter” feels like, I think.
Here is a recipe to warm your body and taste buds.
Adapted from Food Network Magazine: Great Easy Meals – 250 Fun & Fast Recipes
This a slow cooker recipe. It is so easy and tasty. Like a lot of soups and stews out there, it tastes better after a day.
1 large red onion, chopped
2 tbsp of canola oil
3 medium carrots, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of all-purpose flour
1 lb of dried black bean, rinsed and drained
1 lb of ground chicken
2 tbsp of spices (combination of cinnamon stick, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger)
A dash of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground chicken with oil and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add onion, carrots, and garlic. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir until slightly browned (~5 min). Add 2 tbsp of water.
- Transfer the mixture in step 2 to the slow cooker. Add the beans, meat, all of the spices, and 8 cups of water. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves (if using whole cloves). Partially blend the soup with an immersion blender.
- You can serve with sour cream and lime wedges.